Sunday, July 29, 2012

Chick-fil-Hate

When I was younger, I had always wanted to go eat at Chick-fil-A.  Actually, that isn't entirely true.  Up until a few years ago, I had never even heard of the company.  But, when I went to visit a dear friend in Arizona, she introduced me to the over-priced chicken restaurant.  I actually liked their food and secretly hoped that one day they would open up a location in Las Vegas.  Then, I could stay far away from KFC and El Pollo Loco (powdered potatoes, greasy chicken, and flame-burnt food never really excited me).  With the events that have happened with the company, lately, I naturally have reconsidered my thoughts.


I fully believe that everyone has a right to say what they want.  My issue really isn't about the fact that the owner of the company doesn't believe in, or support, gay marriage.  I mean, the company is owned by religious people.  What do people expect?  With a restaurant that is deeply based in religious principles, it is not unheard of to think that the owner of the company would have this belief.  The issue that I have is the fact he chose to vocalize it.  A company has one goal: to make money.  A company has no business involving themselves in a huge debate where they are going to alienate millions of potential customers.  I don't even own a business and I know that vocalizing beliefs that go against other people's beliefs is a stupid idea.  Your goal is to make money, not...well, not make money.  Aside from not supporting gay marriage, he also vocalized the fact that he donates money to anti-gay groups.  I mean, really?  You take your profits from your stores, and turn around and donate that money to groups who actively search for ways to "destroy" a population.  So, in a way, if you generalize what has been going on with the company - customers are unknowingly donating money to fund groups that want to deny rights to human beings.  A simplified generalization, of course, but in theory, that is what is happening.

Now the furor that is going on over this has become a little annoying.  I see so many posts on Facebook and read a lot of news articles, and I wish this whole thing would just blow over.  But, just when you think it is going to, the owner of Chick-fil-A says something else, and boom!  Back in the news it goes.  After realizing that he made a stupid mistake by vocalizing his beliefs and alienating his customers, he tried to backtrack and say that he and his company were getting out of the debate.  Don't you think it is a little too late for that?!  I mean, I may not agree with what you say, and I clearly do not agree with what you do, but be a freaking man and stick by what you say.  Not only do you come off as an asshole with what you say, but you now have the nerve to not even stand by what you said?  What a complete idiot!

I have never really been one for boycotting places.  Mostly because I am a huge fatty and love food too much.  The fact that there isn't a Chick-fil-A in Las Vegas; however, makes it incredibly easy to boycott them.  So yeah, boycott successful on my part!  Again, I jest.  But really, in all fairness, why would anyone support an establishment that wants to treat human beings like they are less than human beings?  Despite religious beliefs, treating people who are different with intolerance and then citing religion to back up that intolerance is wrong.  However, the religious fanatics cite scriptures to support their beliefs.  Fine, do whatever you want, but realize that is also says in scripture that you should not judge other people.  I am just saying, don't hide behind religion if you are committing your own sins in the process.  That makes you a hypocrite.




It seems that recently my blogs have been a bit political in nature, so to keep going with that theme: Sarah Palin supports Chick-fil-A.  I saw this on the news and really had to laugh about it.  Does she really think that people give a shit if she supports anything?  Got news for you, sweetheart - you defending a company that wants to get rid of the gay community is really going to boost your ratings and popularity with those people and their supporters.  Wow, she really is incredibly stupid, isn't she?

Alright - I am going to end this blog with more of a promise to relax on the political front for awhile.  I have no problem complaining about things that annoy me, but even I have to stop talking about politics for the sake of my sanity.

2 comments: